Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Fishing in the Rain

Sunday afternoon I decided to go fishing, down at the Niagara River at one of my favourite fishing holes. Just as I had  arranged my lawnchair at the perfect angle, so I could hit my perch hideout with a deadly pinpoint accurate cast, it began to rain. Not sprinkling rain but pounding,torrentially hard rain. Like where did my hand go rain. Anyhow it was much to late as I was already wet, so I decided to keep on fishing. After all the lightning wasn't that close. So there I was very much alone (everyone else sitting in their cars) and a 3' Musky hits my minnow.
I must say it was a  battle with my 5' ultra light and 8lb braid, but I persevered. With the help of a fisherman who had made a dash for cover from the lake , I landed this beautiful fish. I've hooked many of these toothy critters before but I've never unhooked one, t'was awesome to let it go.
While I was fighting my trophy, it stopped raining, and it seemed like the word spread that a Musky was landed because the bank soon filled with fisherman. Of course I continued to fish, landing the odd keeper Perch, but mostly releasing the small ones. I had very sore arms, not from the fish , but from patting myself on the back.
Anyhow back to the task of catching enough Perch for supper,When BOOM an even bigger Musky bites and starts peeling off line.This time people are gathering to watch this drenched old guy hooked up to every fishermans dream fish. This fish has rockets and heads for the sky three times, once getting at least 3' of air! I fought the fish for about 10 minutes finally jumping into the river to release it. Fishing in the rain, can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment