Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Round Ripper - Cutting Bowl Blanks

Truth: The Round Ripper was born out of fear - a fear Paul had that someone was going to cut off their fingers in the middle of his booth!

While attending wood shows with The Little Ripper, turners would regularly stop by our booth to have their logs sliced in half.  Once cut in half they would inevitably want to knock the corners off using a bandsaw to prepare them for turning.  Paul & Ethan proceeded to watch turner after turner feed wood through their bandsaw, putting their hands in very dangerous situations.  After witnessing one too many turners almost
severely injure themselves, Paul had to stop allowing others to use his bandsaw.  He couldn't bear to watch the dangerous fashion in which they were knocking the corners off their turning stock.  In that moment Paul said to Ethan - "When we get home, we're going to come up with something safer for these guys!" Shortly thereafter the Round Ripper was born.




The Round Ripper was introduced at the AAW in St. Paul, MN, 2011.  The first reaction was a little unexpected.  Thursday, during set-up wood turners would stop by to check out this bright yellow new tool.  Once finding out it's purpose, they would say to Paul  "Turners don't need this. We turn our stock round".  Not being one who worries too much about what others think, Paul continued to set-up as wood turners cast off his latest idea.  On Friday morning something very interesting took place - The professional demo guys, the one's who would be giving seminars throughout the weekend, lined up to have their stock cut round by Paul and his new circle cutter.  Finally Paul asked one of them "Yesterday none of the turners were interested in this.  How come today you guys are lined up to have your bowl blanks cut?"  The demonstrator's response...."What idiot would turn a square piece round when he could just cut it?"  It didn't take long for others to follow suit.  Today the biggest application of The Round Ripper is (safely) cutting bowl blanks.

John Long, a loyal customer and avid user of our Round Ripper cut these blanks shortly after getting his Round Ripper .
 "Setting up the circle cutter took about an hour and I cut some very nice bowl blanks. They were near maximum size and thickness from lemon eucalyptus which is a very hard wood but turning nicely. I could hardly believe how easy it was. Turning the knob with one hand, I found that I had to be careful not to turn the knob too fast. Thanks again for all you help." -John Long

John was also in charge of cutting bowl blanks for all of the international demonstrators at this years AAW in Tampa.  Pictured here is Glenn Lucas, using one of John's blanks to turn a bowl.




Come check out the Round Ripper and our other innovative wood working tools at a local wood show! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete